Google Ads released the Google Customer Match feature in September 2015. It allows advertisers to create PPC ads to target prospects on Gmail, Search network, Display network, and YouTube using user’s email addresses, phone or physical address. It is an effective tool for advertisers as they get great results from it. According to Wordstream, it can match around 50.40% of your email list to users who can see your ads. This is higher than what is obtainable on Facebook and Twitter. In addition, it converts the highest with almost 15% for Customer Match Audiences compared to around 5.5% for the new visitor audiences. This is almost 3x the conversion rate.
In this article, you will learn how to use Google Customer Match to target your ideal audience and improve the ROI of your campaigns.
Google customer match: How it works
Google Customer Match is an effective tool that can be used to create a group of users that converts more. Most advertisers think that to do this, it’s necessary to upload a file containing your existing customers’ contact information such as email address, name, phone numbers and mailing addresses into Google ads. Then create a campaign to target your customers from the file you uploaded.
This is actually not the only way to do this, and later in this article, you’ll see another method that allows you to completely automate this process.
Anyway, Google is able to match the customers’ information to users in its database to determine who can see the ads. If any of the customer’s data you uploaded matches a Google user, the customer will be added to your Customer Match audience.
When the customers sign in to their Google account, they will see your ads as they use the Google search engine, YouTube, Gmail, and the Google Display Network. You can use the Customer Match Audience in your Ads and Google Shopping campaigns, YouTube and Gmail.
For example, if you sell Nissan cars. The keyword “Nissan cars” is too expensive for you to target because it is broad and has lots of competition. In fact, there are 1,420,000,000 search results for the keyword on Google. Using Google Customer Match, you can create an ad targeting your previous buyers searching for “Nissan cars”. The cost may not be lower but the interest is higher. Existing buyers convert more. The conversion rate for repeat customers is about 1.5 percentage points higher.
- Examples of audiences you can target with the Google Customer Match are:
- On the Google Search Network and Google Shopping, you can modify your ad campaign based on the information you have about your customers’ activities.
- On Gmail, you can target your ads to your existing customers or similar audiences using a personalized ad that displays at the top of Gmail inbox tabs.
- On YouTube, you can target new audiences, by first targeting existing audiences that have similar attributes to your most valuable customers.
- On Display, you can target your existing customers or similar audiences with personalized ads.
Benefits of using Google Customer Match
- Using the Google Customer match ensures that your messages don’t end up in your audience spam boxes. With it, you are sure that your audience will see your ads and messages without using their Gmail inboxes. That means it cannot end up in the spam folder nor can they use auto-thrashing for it. As long as they are still on your email list, your messages and ads will get to them.
- Google Customer Match ensures that your advertising reaches people on different properties such as Google search, YouTube, Shopping and Gmail. Your subscribers can see your ads on those channels.
- Google Customer Match gives you a wider reach. Because of its different properties, you can reach out to a much bigger audience and get lots of opportunities to acquire new customers for your business.
How to use Google Customer match in your marketing strategies
Google Customer Match allows you to create a customer match audience which includes email addresses, physical addresses, and phone numbers and upload them into your Google AdWords to target your prospects in Search, Shopping, Gmail and YouTube campaigns.
Below are 5 ways you can use Google Customer Match in your marketing strategies.
1. Google Customer match: To move prospects down the sales funnel
Google Customer Match is an effective tool you can use to move your prospects further down the sales funnel until they become paying customers. To do this, upload different email lists with customers segmented by their stages in the buying cycle. Create specific adverts to move them through the sales funnel.
For instance, you can create an audience of people who have downloaded your e-book or white paper and show them ads that promotes your case study. This will encourage them to move down the sales funnel stages.
2. Google Customer match: To make mid and low funnel prospects convert
Mid to low funnel prospects are sometimes difficult to convert. They can engage with your business by attending your webinars, completing a free trial and chat with your sales rep, but finds it difficult to purchase from you. This is the time to use the Google Customer Match to help them convert.
To do this, bid on keywords that will make you appear at the top position. Your ads will appear at the top and it will keep you at the top of their minds. When you are creating ads for this group of prospects, ensure you don’t use generic ads. You can conduct a survey to find out why people are not ready to purchase your products. Then, create ads that address their sales objections directly.
This was what Wordstream did when they faced the same problem. They created a survey to ask prospects why they did not purchase their products. Most of them said that they find their software difficult to use. So, Wordstream created ads that will enable prospects to learn how to use their software for free.
3. Google Customer Match: To sell more to your existing customers
Google customer match is not only for getting prospects to buy from you but also to encourage existing customers to make more purchases. The truth is, it is easier to retain existing customers than to acquire new customers. Wordstream analyzed data from their RLSA (Remarketing Lists for Search Ads) campaigns which allows them to target past buyers. They discovered that past customers convert 400% higher than new customers.
Apart from increasing conversions, targeting existing customers will also help to increase your average revenue per customer.
For example, if you sell a one-time product such as an automobile or a house, you can use Customer Match to cross-sell complementary products. Here, you would segment your lists by the car brand purchased and customize your ads to show the corresponding item. Second, you can serve them ads notifying them of new models of the car and other sales promotions. Lastly, you can create exclusive offers for your existing customers to get them to buy more from you.
4. Google customer match: To make account-based marketing more effective
One of Google Customer Match features is to enable you to target prospects based on their email addresses. This feature makes it even more effective to use account-based marketing. Instead of wasting money on ads, you can focus on targeting specific people within a specific company that you plan to reach.
You can then target these people by their account size, market size and other factors you deem relevant to the campaign. For instance, you can specifically target customers who spend at least 2k per month on your product. You can then create a customer list of these users and increase your bids when the customers search for terms relating to your product.
5. Google Customer Match: To target users across devices
Google Customer Match unlike remarketing enables you to target customers on all devices such as Mobile, Tablet or Laptop computer.
With remarketing, you can lose users when they switch between devices.
Therefore, Google Customer Match is very efficient, especially with 90% of users using different devices to carry out tasks online.
With Google Customer Match, you can create retargeting ads for users who have given you their emails on your website across different devices. Thus, ensuring that you generate cross-device conversions.
6. Google Customer match: Use Leadsbridge’s custom audience sync to connect your autoresponder to Google Customer Match
Syncing your autoresponder such as MailChimp to Google Customer Match helps to save the time it will take to upload your email list manually to Google Customer Match. Custom audience sync enables you to quickly upload your emails to Google Customer Match, and updates your email lists automatically, adding new subscribers, deleting unsubscribes and unsegmented users. With it, you can easily follow up and nurture your leads as they come in.
How to build a Customer Match list
The first thing you need to do to use the Google Customer Match tool is to create a Customer Match List. Below is the step-by-step instruction on how to create it.
- Log into your Google ads account
- Click the “gear/ tools” icon at the top of your screen and click on “Shared library”. Under the shared library select “Audience manager“
3. Click “Audience lists” from the menu on the left
4. Click on the “+” button to create a new audience list. Choose “Customer list”
5. On the customer list screen, set up your new list. Start by giving a name to your list, upload your list of customer emails, phone numbers and/or mailing addresses.
6. Select whether you want to “harsh your customer data” or not. Hashing it helps to protect user data from interceptors.
7. Select your “file”.
8. Check the box “This data was collected and is being shared with Google in compliance with Google’s policies”
9. Choose a “membership duration”
10. Click on “upload and create list“
It takes about 48 hours for the list to be uploaded to your audience lists.
Google Customer Match case studies
Google Customer Match works. Below are two distinct case studies of businesses that used it and got returns on their investments.
1. The Children’s place
The children’s place is one of the biggest pure-play children’s clothing retailer in North America. Their main customers are back-to-school shoppers. The Children’s place created an ad campaign using the customer match to reach customers who had not converted since the past season. They saw a 287% higher ROI, a 153% increase in conversion rate, and a 237% increase in click-through rate.
2. The Guitar Center
The Guitar Center is a one-stop-shop for people in the music industry. They wanted to reach an audience segment with search campaigns. They used Customer Match to optimize the ad spend on some of their product categories while enhancing clicks and conversions. They got a 60% higher click-through rate and a 50% higher conversion rate.
Google Customer Match allows you to target your leads and customers granularly in order to reach the best audience for your campaigns.
In this article, I shared with you a step-by-step process to build your audiences using a customer list, plus a LeadsBridge product that automates the process called LeadsBridge Audience Sync, which is particularly useful when you want to sync huge audiences without managing CSV files and lists.