LinkedIn, with its over 645 million users worldwide, has become an established powerful platform for businesses to acquire qualified leads all over the world. It is known as the #1 channel b2b marketers used to distribute content and it is the reason 92% of b2b marketers include LinkedIn in their digital marketing mix.
One of the best tools for generating leads on LinkedIn are LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms. Lead Gen Forms use a mobile-optimized technology that allows advertisers to collect leads on the Social Network, without redirecting the users to a website landing page.
However, that’s not the only reason why 90% of b2b marketers reduced their cost per lead with these forms. An important role in obtaining such results is due to the ease with which users can fill in these forms: just like clicking on a button.
In this article, you will learn all you need to know about LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms and how to use them to empower your B2B marketing.
Benefits of LinkedIn for B2B marketing
Before going specifically to see how LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms are revolutionizing the B2B lead generation industry, let’s clarify the reasons why the LinkedIn platform is considered so powerful in the field of B2B marketing.
1. LinkedIn is a place to reach decision-makers and influencers
LinkedIn has a large professional database consisting of 90 million senior-level influencers and 63 million decision-makers that businesses can target in their campaigns. This makes it a great place to reach high-value potential customers when promoting products or services.
2. LinkedIn is an effective tool for content marketing
B2B buyers are constantly searching for content online before they make purchases. They are looking for content that will move them forward in their journey. This is why there are 9 billion content impressions in LinkedIn feeds every week.
According to LinkedIn Business, LinkedIn is the #1 channel B2B marketers use to distribute content. 94% of marketers attested to this in the study. It is a place where professionals come to read the content published by LinkedIn’s 500+ influencers. Its large database of professionals gives your content the possibility of been seen by decision-makers.
This is why 92% of B2B marketers include LinkedIn in their digital marketing mix.
3. LinkedIn is a traffic generation tool
A research conducted by the state of an Inbound report revealed that 83% of marketers believe their biggest challenge is generating traffic and leads. High-quality content on LinkedIn can lead B2B buyers back to your website. On average, 50% of social media traffic comes to b2b company sites from LinkedIn. Using LinkedIn advanced targeting abilities, you can convert this traffic to leads.
4. LinkedIn generates leads and sales
A study by HubSpot revealed that LinkedIn is 277% more effective for lead generation than Facebook and Twitter. A research carried out by Ironpaper revealed that 50% of LinkedIn users say they are more likely to buy from a company they interact with on LinkedIn. This means that LinkedIn is not only a place to connect with potential leads and share content with them, it is also a platform where you can generate leads for your business. In fact, 43% of marketers say that they have sourced a customer from LinkedIn.
Above are the benefits of LinkedIn for B2B marketing. But the question is, how do businesses generate B2B leads and sales consistently before the launch of the LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms.? The answer is, they use the traditional LinkedIn ads.
The traditional way to generate B2B leads with LinkedIn ads
One way businesses generate leads on LinkedIn is through LinkedIn ads. The LinkedIn traditional ads allow users to link their banner with a landing page. This way, if a user clicks on the ad, they will be directed to the advertiser’s website as shown below.
There they can fill the landing page form and read more about the product or service the advertiser is promoting. But this strategy comes with some challenges for marketers.
One, When a web page takes too much time to load, people leave the page. According to ThinkwithGoogle, if it takes more than three seconds for a page to load, over half of its visitors will leave.
Two, more people browse the Internet through mobile phones. In fact, 52.2% of all website traffic is generated through mobile phones and it is increasing. If your website landing pages aren’t 100% mobile-oriented you will lose this traffic.
Third, filling in too many fields reduces leads. Hubspot revealed that the average web form length is 5 form fields and it results in the highest conversion rates. Anything longer than that will reduce your conversion. That’s why it’s great to have a tool that fills the empty fields (more leads, fewer costs).
This is where LinkedIn Lead Ads comes in.
What are LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms?
LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms is a tool that allows advertisers to incorporate a specific type of form in your ad that is prefilled with users’ information from their profiles on LinkedIn. This helps to increase user experience and reduce the number of form fields and then it keeps your users on LinkedIn, not forcing them to visit your website.
You can incorporate the form into your sponsored content campaigns to acquire lead information. You can use them on new campaigns or add them to old ones. It works with the different ads available on LinkedIn sponsored content and inMail. It is accessible through the mobile and the desktop.
Advantages of using LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms
- LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms are designed specifically for mobile use, which is very important in marketing today. LinkedIn gets about 63 million unique mobile users monthly. That is huge! Tap into this huge number by using the LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms.
- The LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms make it easy for users to convert to lead by removing friction. They need not fill long forms with lots of form fields. All they need are two clicks – click the call to action and submit the information. This helps to generate lots of leads.
- With LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms, you can ask for more information from users without reducing conversation rates. All you need is to design the right experience for completing the form for users and you can have as much data as you need. The information is pre-filled from the users’ profile. So, it does not require them to fill the form manually.
- LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms give you a double conversion. You have users’ email when they sign up or follow your call to action and then when they click your link on the thank you page; you lead them to your website or a page where you can target them with another offer of your choice.
How do LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms work?
LinkedIn allows users to do in-app registration, download or click on any call to action you specify on your LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms.
When a user clicks on your ads, a pre-filled form with information from their profile is shown to them. All they need do is to confirm the information and submit. Then, a record of the user including their name, email, company name, job title, location and any other information you specified in the LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms will be sent to you.
Next, they will see a thank you page with your message and a link back to your website or where you want to send the lead.
How to set up a LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms
Setting up a LinkedIn Lead Gen Form is easy. Below is the step-by-step method to set it up.
- Go to Campaign Manager and select account assets, then click on Lead Gen Forms
- Click on Create form
The LinkedIn Lead Gen Form is divided into four parts:
- The form details
- Lead details & Questions
- Hidden fields.
a. The form details
It is time to build your form. Follow the steps below to do it.
- Provide a name for your form.
- Choose a language for the form. Ensure that your form language matches the profile language of your ad campaign.
- Create an attractive headline that is less than 60 characters
- Write your offer details. This is a description of your offer stating the benefits it gives to the user. You have 160 characters for it, so create a compelling description.
b. Lead details and custom questions
This is where you specify the data you want to collect from your potential leads as they sign up on your form. There are different questions you can select. Follow the steps below to do it.
- Select the contact information details you want e.g. First name, last name, email address, phone number, etc.
- Select the work details i.e. job title, function, company, etc.
- Add the educational details such as the degree, field of study, graduation details, etc.
- Select the demographics of the user, i.e. the gender
Users do not need to fill in most of the field in this part of your form, it is automatically generated and pre-filled for them. However, fields such as email address, phone number or gender cannot be automatically pre-filled.
- Custom questions and checkboxes: In this part, you can customize the form by adding your own questions and checkboxes. LinkedIn allows you to add up to 3 custom questions and 5 custom checkboxes.
The next part of the form is confirmation set up. This is like the Thank you page your user will see after converting.
- Create a thank-you message and state how you will communicate with the user afterward.
- Provide a landing page URL with useful information
- Select a thank-you message call to action relevant to your offer from the drop-down.
d. Hidden fields
This part is optional, and it requires integration with a third-party marketing automation platform.
The hidden fields are hidden from the user. Such details include hidden agency ID so you can identify the lead coming in from your forms. It can also be a product ID to help you identify the product you are selling to users in the ad. It is optional.
That is all you need to set up a LinkedIn Lead Gen Form.
How to test LinkedIn Lead Gen Form
You can test your LinkedIn Lead Gen Form to make sure everything works perfectly. This is especially important if you integrate it with third-party marketing automation or a CRM provider (more on that later). It will help to know if the process is successful. Below is the step-by-step process to test your LinkedIn lead Gen Form.
- Sign in to the Campaign Manager
- Click the account, campaign group and the name of where you saved the form.
- Click on the “manage” button from the pop-up
- Click the …more icon and choose Preview from the drop-down
- Click the call to action button in the preview
- Close the preview window and click the back arrow to go back to the account overview page.
- Click the account assets tab and select Lead Gen Form
- Click download leads
- A CSV file will download to your device. When you open the report, you will see values of TRUE or FALSE, True means a test lead, while FALSE shows a real lead. So, in this case you will see TRUE meaning a test lead.
Examples of LinkedIn Lead Gen Form
Below are examples of LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms from different businesses.
DocuSign created an ad promoting a downloadable guide for creating business processes as shown below:
When users click on download, it takes them to a pre-filled form where they will enter their email, phone number, and company size. They use the emails and phone numbers for future marketing and the company size data is for the purpose of knowing more about their target audience.
The second example is from Marketo.
The second example is from Marketo. They created a LinkedIn Lead Gen Form to advertise their latest post on Omnichannel marketing automation. To find out more about the post, users are directed to fill in their details and then submit them.
Below are the best practices for LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms
Best Practices for LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms
1. Use a compelling headline and description
When designing your LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms, use an attractive headline and a description that further explains the benefit of the headline. This helps users to take further action to complete the form. The headline should describe the offer you have for them. Then, use the description to explain what they will get by completing the form.
For example, in the DocuSign LinkedIn Lead Gen Form above, the title is:
Why it Pays to Use eSignatures
The description is:
Learn how transitioning to electronic signatures can help improve customer satisfaction, employee productivity, and lower costs with greater efficiency.
As you can see from the above example, the description explains the topic.
2. Use a few form fields
LinkedIn recommends using 3 to 4 form fields for your LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms. Anything more than that can lead to having fewer leads or low conversion rates. The truth is less is more. If you notice that your click-through rates are high but the number of users completing the forms is low, it means you are using too many field forms.
3. Don’t use fields that need manual input
It takes extra effort and time on the part of users to fill forms manually. This reduces the number of users that will fill it. This can reduce your conversion rates. Ensure you request only the information available on user profiles to make it easy for them to just confirm the information and submit. Fields that are not listed on users’ profiles such as the phone number or gender should be avoided. To increase your conversion rates, request for the information available on users’ profiles.
4. Use the ‘Thank you’ page for more conversions
LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms are designed to make users stay on their platform. However, it offers an opportunity for double conversions. As users give you their email in the sign-up form, they will see your thank you message and a link to your website. You can lead them to a web page where they can sign up for a webinar, register for an event, download an e-book, etc. Once, they follow up with your call to action; you get a double conversion.
5. LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms integration with third-party tools
One good thing with the LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms is that you can integrate it with a tremendous amount of third-party marketing tools through Leadsbridge.
LinkedIn Gen Form + Leadsbridge
LinkedIn store your leads from your LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms in a simple downloadable CSV file. The problem with this method is that it is a difficult task. It is a manual download, a repetitive task and a waste of time. Most importantly, when users sign up to download a document or a demo on a LinkedIn Lead Gen Form, they expect to get it immediately.
A study revealed that 74% of leads expect to receive a welcome email and subscribers who receive welcome emails show 33 percent more long-term brand engagement than those who don’t receive them.
The timing of the information is very important. You need a solution.
This is where Leadsbridge comes in. Leadsbridge connects your favorite marketing tools with hundreds of CRMs and email marketing software. By doing so, you can quickly and automatically follow up with your leads from LinkedIn Lead Gen Form, giving them a seamless and smooth experience that statistically increases conversions.
Moreover, LeadsBridge enables companies to sync their CRM to LinkedIn Matched Audiences for CRM and email remarketing.
With the integration through Leadsbridge, you can segment your incoming leads into different forms you create. Also, you will receive an email receipt of each lead coming in.
Here you can find a quick video tutorial on how to sync LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms with your CRM/Email software:
Below are some clear examples of LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms integration with Marketo and Salesforce through Leadsbridge.
LinkedIn Lead Gen forms integration with Marketo
Integrate your LinkedIn Lead Gen forms through Leadsbridge with Marketo to enable you to insert and update leads in static leads and in the list.
LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms integration with Salesforce
You can also integrate Salesforce with LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms through Leadsbridge. This will enable you to insert and update leads in lead sources, campaigns, list views, tags, and reports. Thus, helping you to generate more qualified leads while reducing the Lead Generation Costs.
LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms is a great way to generate b2b leads for your business. It makes campaign forms easier to fill and this helps to improve campaign performances.
Integrating LinkedIn Lead Gen Forms with third-party tools through Leadsbridge such as Salesforce and Marketo will help you reach tour leads in perfect timing and follow up with your leads as soon as they come in your marketing funnel.
If you want to know more about this topic, enroll in our dedicated webinar and learn how to seamlessly collect high-quality leads and gain new clients with LinkedIn!